Lemper, an Indonesian Sticky Rice Cake and Its RecipeJumat, 10 Juli 2020 - 05:06 | 11.95k
TIMESINDONESIA, JAKARTA – Lemper is an Indonesian cake made of Sticky Rice Cake. This cake usually will be filled with some shredded chicken, meat or coconut. Thid food was a famcy food at its time. Only those the royal family could eat this cake since at that time rice or sticky rice was an expensive thing to get by common people.
Nowadays, this fancy food becomes a popular one popular dish to serve in certain occasion like wedding party, gathering, meeting and many more. You could find this cake in the conventionl market, or bakery which serve traditional cake. However, we could guide you to male your very own Lemper at home. Chek this out:
For the Lemper:
250 gram glutinous rice
125 ml coconut milk
1 tbs salt
For the chicken floss filling:
Lemon grass, Bay leave (one for each)
100 gram chicken breast (or dark meat if you like, or may be shredded fish)
2 cloves shallot
1 clove garlic
1/2 tbs coriander
Prepare the chicken floss filling
1. Ground the shallot, garlic, coriander, nutmeg, and ground pepper and sauté it in a pan with a little oil, add the bay leaf, lemon grass, and galangal and cook it for about 3 minutes.
2. Add the shredded chicken meat, water, sugar, and salt.
3. Continue to sauté until the liquid dries up. The filling should be dry. Have a taste by adding more sugar and salt.
Prepare the glutinuous rice
1. In a large wok or pan, add the rice, coconut milk, water, and the rest of the ingredients for sticky rice. No oil is needed
2. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to let it simmer and continue to stir until the liquid is absorbed by the rice
3. Transfer the precooked rice to a steamer. Put the rice in, spread it out, and let it steam for 30 minutes or until the rice is soft and cooked through. Remove and discard the herbs.
Assembling the Lemper
Take the banana leaves, put the Lemper (Sticky Rice Cake) on to it, fill it with the chicken. Make sure the chicken well covered. Tie both end of the banana leaves with tooth pick. And you could steam it back for 30 minutes to get the banana leaves fragrant mixed into the flavour. I personally will choose to just eat it right away. So, it could be set according to your taste. And good luck with your cooking!. (*)
lemper sticky rice cake jakarta
|Publisher||: Sofyan Saqi Futaki|